Suicide in New Zealand (Jim O'Connor)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon May 15 15:47:20 PDT 2000

kelley wrote:

> i had no idea what
> you were talking about other than general suicide stats. given carrol's
> post in reply i was n't aided in understanding since carrol wasn't talking
> about youth suicide either, but suicide in general.

Yes -- I had forgotten the original stats and couldn't find the post, so just had Jim's to respond to.

I've come up with a way of more precisely relating depression and suicide. Suicide relates to depression as ski accidents relate to owners of skis. That is, depressed (or bipolar) persons make up the pool of *potential* suicides, but only a fraction of those potential suicides do kill themselves. Hence the operative cause has to be something else, probably social relations -- or the absence thereof.

(Though SAD probably figures prominently in places like Finland, Norway, Upper peninsula of michigan, etc. It can be an extremely severe depression -- and nothing except light therapy can help it.)

Carrol