Fwd: (50 Years) Important: Follow-up on IMF & World Bank

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 17 10:17:19 PDT 2000

From: Soren <Soren at afgj.org> To: "'stop-wb-imf at 50years.org'" <stop-wb-imf at 50years.org> Subject: (50 Years) Important: Follow-up on IMF & World Bank Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 11:33:17 -0400

IMPORTANT follow-up actions on the IMF & World Bank

May 16, 2000

Solidarity Greetings from the 50 Years Is Enough: U.S. Network for Global Economic Justice!

Its been a month since our collective triumphant pole vaulting of IMF/World Bank issues into the international arena. We are still awestruck and greatly inspired by the amazing energy, talents, commitment, and inspiration of activists involved in the Mobilization for Global Justice. The organizing was characterized by a spirit and process of incredible solidarity in every aspect of the Mobilization which made the non-hierarchical, consensus decision-making process possible and successful.

We are heartened by the commitment of the U.S. activist community to ensure an end to the harmful impacts of the IMF and World Bank worldwide, and opposition to their domination of the world economy. The 50 Years Is Enough has been working to build a coalition of U.S. organizations opposing the IMF and World Bank since 1994. The events of the last few months are a guarantee that the work will continue with renewed vigor and confidence and global justice is within our grasp. Activists who have been working on these issues for even longer (e.g. Brent Blackwelder of Friends of the Earth - 18 years!) expressed similar sentiments and feelings of reassurance.

As many of you know, activities in solidarity with the Mobilization for Global Justice were also held in numerous countries, including Bulgaria, Haiti, South Africa, Brazil, Turkey, Australia, U.K., Mauritius, France, the Philippines, India, Argentina, New Zealand, and in Kenya (Njoki's home country), where 62 activists were arrested upon marching to the World Bank office to demand immediate debt cancellation. And around the U.S. and in Canada there were activities in many communities for those who could not make it to Washington, D.C.

Colleagues and partners in Washington from the Global South were greatly heartened. We raised funds and were able to support the participation of colleagues from Zimbabwe, Thailand, South Africa, Cameroon, the Philippines, India, and Haiti, as well as provided support for several U.S. poor and working peoples' organization. The activists from the Global South, to a person, spoke of the great encouragement they felt from seeing such solidarity from U.S. activists. They spoke of the Washington protests as a major turning point in the battle for economic justice worldwide, and look forward to continuing to work with us and the new contacts they made while here.

We have forever changed the political climate in the United States on IMF and World Bank issues, but we face big challenges ahead to keep pushing forward, and to keep the IMF and Bank retreating. Thousands of people came to Washington, D.C. to protest structural adjustment programs, international debt, corporate globalization, and to stand in solidarity with millions of people who live, and often die, under the policies and practices of the IMF and World Bank. The institutions couldn't ignore us on April 16, and never again will they be able to operate without scrutiny from the U.S. public. These are truly defining times in the collective struggles for social and economic justice. Thousands, perhaps millions, of people in the U.S. are being educated and have begun to be concerned about the policies of the IMF and World Bank. And in April, especially on the 16th and 17th, we demonstrated our concern in dramatic and public ways and hopefully many became lifelong activists on these issues.

Rather than even attempt to recount all that happened or analyze its meaning, we have a few suggestions about how activists might capitalize (if you'll excuse the expression) on the momentum established in Washington.

There are a number of ways in which organizations and individuals can continue to be engaged in this particular focus on the World Bank and the IMF. Now that we have rested some (we hope), it is time for action, AGAIN:

(i) FOLLOW-UP with officials at the IMF & World Bank (each country has an executive director at each institution, find out who is "yours") and remind them why you came to Washington (or supported those who did)! The list of 50 Years Is Enough demands (on our website under "Update") which many of you signed on as supporters is a good start.

(ii) Another which we are partial to (for obvious reasons) is: Join the 50 Years Is Enough Network. If you were involved in the April Mobilization, in Washington or elsewhere, or your interest piqued by the events, become a part of the 50 Years Is Enough Network. Visit our website at <www.50years.org>, and join our listserv by sending an e-mail to <subscribe50years(a)yahoo.com You will receive up to date information about the institutions, campaigns, and related key issues on a regular basis.

(iii) Become part of the campaign to Bankrupt the World Bank! Launched on April 10, during the Mobilization (and attracting substantial press attention), this effort focuses on the fact that 80% of the money the World Bank uses to make its loans actually comes from the sale of bonds to institutional investors (pension funds, universities, municipalities, etc.). The campaign, initiated by activists in Haiti and South Africa, demands that the Bank immediately cease its structural adjustment programs, including suspending existing SAPs. Until it does so, we will call on those who buy and sell those bonds to suspend their business with the World Bank. For more information, visit <www.worldbankboycott.org.>

(iv). We expect to very soon have devised a legislative strategy with a real chance of beginning to erode the power of the IMF and World Bank to impose the conditions known as "structural adjustment." Our first step -- getting Congress to prohibit any use of its funds to impose "user fees" on health services and primary education -- may appear modest, but it could be a real life-saver. It is also meant to educate Congress about the criminal behavior of the institutions and lay the foundation for eliminating all oppressive conditionalities soon. Please check our website and listserv for alerts as the strategy is devised over the next few weeks.

(v) Get ready for Prague! The IMF/World Bank Annual General Meetings, held each autumn, will take place in Prague, Czech Republic from September 26-28. 50 Years sent a representative to a planning meeting in Prague last week to discuss how to build on the momentum of Washington and Seattle. The Czech organizers are planning parallel events - a "counter-summit," public forum and debate, and demonstrations - starting on September 20. Here in the U.S. we anticipate that there will be parallel events in Washington to remind the staff left behind to keep the institutions running that we haven't forgotten about them and the impact of their work. Details on our website and listserv. (There is a listserv for more detailed planning as well -- subscribe by sending a blank message to <antiimf2000 at egroups.com>).

It always feels awkward to say "Thank You" to fellow activists for their commitment and work, but there are no other words to express the awe, admiration, and appreciation that we feel for fellow activists who hearten, challenge, and so inspire us in our work. So, THANK YOU! For making the Mobilization for Global Justice such a success and for the opportunity to work side by side with some of the most talented and committed people around.

We promise to do our part in keeping activists informed and involved in the struggles to end the reign of tyranny of the IMF and World Bank, the WTO, and multinational corporations. Its been said before, "We are the ones who will change the world, the ruling classes tremble!"

In Solidarity & Struggle,

Njoki Njoroge NjehEUR û & Soren Ambrose 50 Years Is Enough Network Washington, DC USA

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Over 1,000 solutions for allergies & asthma-gazoontite.com! Shop now! http://click.egroups.com/1/4193/6/_/314851/_/958538075/ ------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: a16-international-planning-unsubscribe at eGroups.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Remember four years of good friends, bad clothes, explosive chemistry experiments. http://click.egroups.com/1/4051/8/_/124252/_/958577329/ ------------------------------------------------------------------------