Clintonoids Serve Up Mud Pie Analysis

Andrew English aenglish at igc.org
Wed May 17 12:09:46 PDT 2000

There is considerable anecdotal evidence of employer threats to move production to Mexico if workers vote to unionize. Whether it adds up to a rigorous proof of an effect is another question. It is hard to separate the effects of particular trade policies from the up and downs of the economic cycle.

Whatever the economic data may say, the gut instinct of most trade unionists that NAFTA was a bad deal and the line-up of corporate America behind trade liberalization is pretty good evidence to me that NAFTA certainly didn't help the working class.

On the economic cycle: Real wage growth was weak or nonexistent up until 1996. Concerns about downsizing dominated the working class agenda through 1997. I think the popular perception of unqualified economic good times didn't set in till 1998-99. Now in the year 2000, the class is finally starting to show some signs of becoming more assertive and wanting a bigger piece of the pie after the gloominess and defeatism that started with the 1979-82 downturn and the decade of concessions. Which is where Alan Greenspan comes in with the interest rate hikes to save us all from the horror of rising wages.

How will the working class respond to the next recession? Are people going to be pissed off that the party ended just as it was getting good and fight back? Or will we see a return to defeatism and wage freezes? A lot depends on how severe the recession is and how prolonged.

-Andy English

-----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Wednesday, May 17, 2000 1:41 PM Subject: Re: Clintonoids Serve Up Mud Pie Analysis