ILWU on China

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu May 18 09:36:06 PDT 2000

[Bounced bec of an attachment. Nitpick: I'm not of Chinese descent and I found the chopstick remark distressing.]

Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 17:29:27 -1000 From: Stephen E Philion <philion at hawaii.edu> Subject: ILWU On China

Recalling my appeal to would be maligners of the labor movement as a monolithic arm of US foreign policy..... Steve

Subject: ILWU Position on China Trade

International Longshore and Warehouse Union Thirty-first International Convention Portland, Oregon May 1 - 5, 2000 Resolution # R-39

The ILWU, China and Human Rights

WHEREAS: The labor movement has made defeat of the normal trade relations with China a major priority this year. The ILWU agrees with the goals of eradicating human rights abuses in China and the rest of the world and we urge all countries to adopt the core labor standards embodied in the International Labor Organization. The fight over trade with China should not overshadow or sidetrack the momentum built by the Seattle protest over globalization and the corporate-led exploitation of workers worldwide; and

WHEREAS: The press reports of the Chinese government curtailing personal freedoms of speech, expression and association are deeply troubling; we do find that anti-China rhetoric is not helpful to the goal of promoting human rights. Racially-tinged pronouncements like "you've sold your last pair of chopsticks in any mall in America," spoken at a labor rally are indefensible and cause distress among all people of Chinese descent; and

WHEREAS: Historically, the ILWU has always made its own assessments of the human rights conditions around the world, worked with individual workers, labor organizations, and human rights activists to make the world more just and peaceful. In the case of China, we need more independent knowledge to conclude that denying normal trade relations with that country is the best way to improve the conditions of workers in China and to enhance worker-to-worker relations between our two nations; THEREFORE BE IT

RESOLVED: That the ILWU will continue its tradition of assisting workers throughout the world and reserving our right to take positions independent of the AFL-CIO on issues relating to foreign policy and trade; and BE IT FURTHER

RESOLVED: That the ILWU believes the struggle for human rights worldwide requires a long-term commitment ; and BE IT FINALLY

RESOLVED: That the ILWU will prioritize and prepare for a delegation of rank and file members to travel to China to make contact with trade unionists from China including government sanctioned unions as well as opposition leaders and report to the ILWU on recommendations for enhancing worker conditions and human rights in our two nations.