More ?? on unemployment

John K. Taber jktaber at dhc.net
Fri May 19 13:18:52 PDT 2000

For reasons of my own I've been going thru back issues of Irving Kristol's _Public Interest_.

"A high level of unemployment is a persistent problem of the American economy. During the past 20 years, the average rate of unemployment exceeded 4.5%. In only one post-War year (1953) did unemployment drop below three per cent." --Martin Feldstein, "The Economics of New Unemployment"; _Public Interest_; pg 3; Number 33; Fall 1973.

Yes, I know it says "exceeded" 4.5%, implying still higher. But I read it as 4.5% being the floor.

Now, today, in the Dallas Morning News, it says "Jobless rate persistently low in Texas" pg D1:5; Charlene Oldham.

"The Texas unemployment rate last month was 4.5 percent..."

Now, my question for the economists on this list is why is 4.5% high unemployment in 1973, and is low in 2000?

Ohhh. I think I get it. The unemployment problem has been solved! Hooray, hooray.

So that what was once high, tsk, tsk, is now low, clap clap.

I guess the solution was savaging welfare, eh?

Or, am I getting too sarcastic. Comments anybody?

-- John K. Taber