'The Web was invented by the British but exported to theUS...Wedon't

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon May 22 13:48:31 PDT 2000

> Michael Perelman wrote:

> Since this list is such a font of information, perhaps somebody can
> help me run down a better source for this citation.

Here's an interesting passage from what looks like a one-man anti-conspiracy site. He claims Quigley's original quote is a fake; that it doesn't appear in the original pamphlet; and he gives fairly recent cite for where to find the pamphlet.

Quigley himself could possibly have taken it from an earlier work that supposedly makes the same quote and also attributes it to Paterson: Eric D. Butler, The Enemy Within the Empire, A Short History of the Bank of England [Melbourne, 1941, p.3.]

The full article this is excerpted from is available at: http://www.floodlight.org/theory/bofe2.html

The quote is one of the most widely used in

all of conspiracy theory writings. It takes its life from a book

entitled Tragedy and Hope: A History of the World in Our Time by

professor Carroll Quigley of Georgetown University. First published in

1966, the book is widely read and used by conspiracy theorists in

their vain attempts to prove a global conspiracy. It should be noted

as well that Quigley himself repudiated conspiracy theories. The quote

comes from page 49 of Quigleys text. The original quote is as follows,

"the bank hath benefit of interest on all moneys which it creates out

of nothing." <snip> If either Still, Griffin or Mullins

had bothered to check Quigleys accuracy, he would have found that

Paterson never made any such statement in the circular mentioned. The

circular that Quigley mentions was published in 1694, and took as its

title, A Brief Account of the Intended Bank of England.[15]

15) Saxe Bannister, The Writings of William Paterson: Founder of the

Bank of England (London: Judd & Glass, 1859) Reprinted New York:

August M. Kelley Publishers, 1968. P. 79-91