'The Web was invented by the British but exported to the US.

James Baird jlbaird3 at yahoo.com
Mon May 22 14:59:26 PDT 2000

> It seems to me there is a lot of what, nationalistic
> blather going on
> here? Obviously these systems were tossed back and
> forth, so scoring
> firsts is a strange game. BTW, was the book you
> mentioned Roger
> Penrose's The Emperor's New Mind?

No - I read that a few years ago, and couldn't really get Penrose's point. He seemed to be postulating some sort of mystical component to thought because he couldn't face, philosophically, the idea that human brains might be just another Turing machine. The book I just read is Ray Kurzweil's "The Age of Spiritual Machines": an alternately exhilarating and disturbing look at the future of artificial intelligence. He makes a pretty impregnable case for the idea that we as human beings will be replaced, either by enhanced humans or AIs, sometime in the next 25-20 years...

Jim Baird