Source of "hath benefit of interest"

John K. Taber jktaber at dhc.net
Mon May 22 15:50:04 PDT 2000

Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote: < I'm afraid I can't give you a better source but I can give you an interesting worse one. Pound quotes this several times in the *Cantos*. It's a major theme of the work.

Michael Perelman wrote:

> Since this list is such a font of information, perhaps somebody can
help me run
> down a better source for this citation.
>
> Quigley, Carroll. 1966. Tragedy and Hope: A History of the World in
Our Time
> (NY: Macmillan).
> 49: William Paterson, on obtaining the charter of the Bank of
England in
> 1694, to use the moneys he had won in privateering, said, "The Bank
hath benefit
> of interest on all moneys which it creates out of nothing."

I think the source is in _A Companion to The Cantos of Ezra Pound_. Let me try to find it.

-- John K. Taber