Cooper on SUVs

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue May 23 09:46:03 PDT 2000

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Tough Driving
> SUV owners: Park it - right now, before I hurt you
>
> By MARC COOPER
>
> Indeed, taking you with me is a sacred civic duty. As the
> gaps between rich and poor widen, the gaps in income, in housing, in the
> very political geography of this city, the allure of the Sport Utility
> Vehicle grows ever stronger.

While I don't mind seeing SUVs and their drivers pilloried, I think I do mind the kind of rhetoric that helps to conceal the comparisons Doug makes in the current LBO#94 on Wealth Distribution. The rich don't own SUVs -- they travel in limousines. And those with $100,000.00 annual incomes are apt to be political supporters of the rich, they are not themselves rich and it really twists consciousness of social dynamics to pretend that they are.

Carrol