UK going global?

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue May 23 13:20:01 PDT 2000

>From The Independent:
>The operation is just part of a shift in policy aimed at giving Britain a
>pre-eminent position in international security second only to America. This
>new globalism reflects an awareness of a post-Cold War security vacuum, but
>also Tony Blair's intention to make Britain a "force for good".

Onward, Christian soldiers!

I have to wonder, though, if Britain's old and new imperial escapades have anything to do with the mystery that Doug posed earlier: "The story of British decline is a very interesting one, and I'm curious why this inventiveness bore so little industrial fruit. I know the story of the ascendance of financial over manufacturing interests and the failure of British firms to get big and professionally managed enough, but I was eager to hear more, either solid history or airy speculation."

My speculation is that Britain's enduring compulsion to be a global busybody has taken its toll of mundane matters like the national economy.

Carl