Palestinian authority

JC Helary helary at eskimo.com
Tue May 23 14:04:00 PDT 2000

> has finally pushed the IDF right out of Lebanon. Looks like the IR will
> control the whole former 'buffer zone' within a few days with the IDF
> proxy, the SLA, collapsing like cards. It will be important what happens
> next. Now Israel's nightmare has come true and it's their own fault: an
> Islamic fundamentalist
> state on its borders who view Israel as a collective Salmon Rushdie.
> Rumors are circulating that Iran has brokered a deal between Hamas,
> I-Jihad, Hezbollah, and the Jibril wing of the PFLP to conduct "armed
> struggle" (probably cross border raids and shelling) against Israel. If
> this does occur Israel might invade
> Lebanon again.
>
> Sam Pawlett

What I saw from a trip to South Lebanon in summer 98 is that the population itself is not fundamentalist, and now that SL is freed from Israel I am not sure there will be a lot of support to the fundamentalist groups. Same when I talked to people in the Baalbek area, they all agree that Hezbollah is doing a necessary job, but they all know that Hezbollah is here only because SL is occupied. The people I talked to (who may be a minority though) felt deceived both by the PLO and by Israel when they successively occupied SL and, at least for them, Hezbollah was credible as a resistance force. Plus the biggest problem seemed not so much supporting armed resistance, but getting investments from the state to rebuilt the infrastructure in the Bekaa valley and the area close to the SL 'border'. I was shocked to see most of the tourist areas in Beyruth re-constructed with huge 5 stars hotels and Bank buildings while the areas far from the coast (and even parts of the city) are left totally abandonned. People in Baalbek tolb me that what the state was not doing here, Hezbollah was doing it, by creating 'social security' networks, running hospitals for the poors, providing education etc... If the state is responsible enough, the fundamentalist base could be not necessary anymore...

JC Helary