Kim Jong Il Thinks He's a God-King: Why Ignore It?

Tue May 23 17:29:02 PDT 2000

>DeLong, I'm sure, will respond to this with his usual bluster (he
>says I'm a 'Stalinist,' apparently for suggesting that US troops
>should leave Korea and arguing that SK has the capability to defend
>itself against an economically crippled NK).
>

>Tim Shorrock

That's another lie.

I call you a "stooge in search of a Stalin" because you are one.

You write of "Koreans, N[orth] & S[outh], are working hard to end the nearly 50 years of hostility" without a word about the asymmetries between the conditions of rule, the openness of politics, and the sources of legitimacy in North and South Korea. You write of how the removal of U.S. troops from South Korea is a necessary prerequisite before "South Korea [can] escape the legacy of the Cold War that divided the peninsula and created untold agonies on both sides." You write of how anyone who thinks that the purpose of U.S. troops in Korea is to defend against a possible attack from the North into the South is a "fool and knows nothing of history" without a word about the historical process that led to the deployment of the U.S. army in Korea.

The Korean War begun by Kim Il Sung in 1950 and the extraordinary asymmetry between the political and economic cultures of the Korean North and the Korean South are things that have to be highlighted in *any* discussion of what is to be done, not swept under the rug.

The principal obstacle to Korean unification is not the U.S. army in South Korea, but instead that Kim Jong Il considers himself a God-King. Why do you pretend otherwise?

Brad DeLong