Confusion

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Tue May 23 16:29:18 PDT 2000

In message <p04310107b55055955e50@[216.254.77.128]>, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes
>You don't have to think the Kims are nice guys to think the U.S. is
>in South Korea not to defend "democracy" but to maintain an imperial
>presence (which means, among other things, reminding Japan who's
>boss).

Intriguing parallel with Germany, too. Carole Eisenberg's recentish book on dividing Germany is good. I wonder if the US technique of partitioning countries was learned from Britain's innovations in Ireland and India. James Connolly's analysis of the effects of partition 'a carnival of reaction on both sides of the border' are perhaps instructive.

-- Jim heartfield