Labor Boycotts MCI Fundraising Bash (Re: UAW prez slams GoreonChinaPNTR

Andrew English aenglish at igc.org
Wed May 24 08:36:02 PDT 2000

I think a likelier explanation is that China is a bigger prize for the corporate elite than expanding NAFTA was - and Gore's support of the China deal (after the AFL-CIO gave him an early endorsement) is what is providing cover to liberal Dems to vote for the big business position.

In retrospect, the AFL should have at the very least withheld endorsement of any candidate who was not a fair trader (Bradley and Gore both being on the corporate side) until after this vote to maximize their leverage on the Dems.

(Of course, in the best of all worlds, every union would be supporting the Labor Party.)

-Andy English

-----Original Message----- From: Nathan Newman <nathan.newman at yale.edu> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Wednesday, May 24, 2000 8:08 AM Subject: Re: Labor Boycotts MCI Fundraising Bash (Re: UAW prez slams GoreonChinaPNTR