Cooper on SUVs

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed May 24 09:34:15 PDT 2000

>Carl Remick wrote:
>
> > >In terms of income, of course $100K puts you way up
> > >there in percentiles, but . . .
> >
> > But indeed. The following nifty jeremiad is from Nicholas Von Hoffman's
> > column in the current NY Observer (full text is at
> > http://www.observer.com/pages/observer.htm):
> >
> > [SNIP],
> > "The problem with Mr. Chambers is that he and those like him have become
>too
> > numerous, too too rich and too too too conspicuous. Our political system
>was
> > built on the assumption that the United States, being a rural society of
> > smallish farmers, would have an electorate with more or less the same
> > material stake in the nation’s well-being. Now we’re trying a new
> > experiment. Now we’re trying to run a democracy in which a tiny
>percentage
> > of the population owns most of the wealth and has a chattel mortgage on
>most
> > of the population.
>
>This kind of comparison between the "good old days" and the "bad new
>days" reminds me of a joke circulated in the '50s, re what were at that
>time called "Adult Westerns."

Obtuse as usual, Carrol. Von Hoffman doesn't contrast "good old days" and "bad new days" so much as he compares the "bad new days" with the "bad old days," viz.: "like a vermicular insect that lives in the ground and corkscrews up into light and air in 100-year cycles, the rich have emerged again."

Long wave, anyone?