Kim Jong Il Thinks He's a God-King: Why Ignore It?

Seth Ackerman SAckerman at FAIR.org
Wed May 24 12:26:31 PDT 2000

Tim Shorrock wrote:

> The point is, how do we prevent another war and catastrophe on the Korean
> peninsula? By throwing invectives around like three year olds? Or trying
> to figure out a way to defuse military tensions, bring economic stability
> to the North (despite its political structure, NK has a rather interesting
> economic history that once included a fairly advanced industrial
> infrastructure built independently of either the Soviets or the Chinese)
> and finding an alternative road to security that doesn't require US troops
> in East Asia for another 50 years.

Tim, what do the South Koreans think is the best way to defuse tensions? Do they want 35,000 US troops on the peninsula? Are they more afraid of Chinese hegemonism than American hegemonism? How does this debate play out in the South?

Seth