The China Deal: If You Can't Sell It, Buy It

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Wed May 24 12:16:11 PDT 2000

Barry Rene DeCicco <bdecicco at umich.edu> said> (I'm saying this because I've heard somebody say that in 1980 he had a professor wonder how Reagan got elected, because nobody in that professor's social circle was a Republican).

Reminds me of film critic, Pauline Kael, saying in amazement that Nixon got re-elected in '72. She said she knew no one who voted for him. It's like when in 1936 the Roper(???) poll said Alf Landon was gonna beat FDR. Trouble was they only asked people with phones! Esp. back then, and in the depths of the Great Depression, how many folks had phones? For a current analogue, on the Pat Buchanan Brigade list, the PJB fan club is convinced that Pat, if he gets into the TV debates can roll over Bore and Bush.

Michael Pugliese, remembering the Presidency of George McGovern