summary of findings: police brutality statistics

Kendall Clark kclark at ntlug.org
Thu May 25 10:26:47 PDT 2000

All,

I recently asked here for some help tracking down police brutality statistics. Here's a summary of what I've found so far:

* No one tracks *un*justifiable police homicides at the national

level. I find this very distressing. More about this issue at

<URL:http://monkeyfist.com/articles/529>, a brief note called "Flaws

in FBI's Uniform Crime Reports Prevent Progress".

I would dearly love to learn that I'm wrong about this and someone

*is* tracking unjustified police homicides; if you know a source

for searching national homicide data indexed to *profession* that

would work too.

* <URL:http://www.fbi.gov/ucr.htm> lists *justifiable* police

homicides, as well as stats on Law enforcement assaults and *

killings.

* The BLS has good stats on law enforcement deaths at

<URL:http://stats.bls.gov/special.requests/ocwc/oshwc/cfoi/cftb0115.txt>.

* AI report on NYC police brutality is at

<URL:http://www.amnesty.org/ailib/aipub/1996/AMR/25103696.htm>

* Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Stats at

<URL:http://www.albany.edu/sourcebook/>

* The Police Foundation in DC has good people interested in this and

related issues; I spoke with Karen Handford, and she was *most*

helpful and encouraging. <URL:http://www.policefoundation.org/>.

* Prof Colin Loftin at SUNY Albany is *apparently* a resource for

this kind of inquiry, though I haven't yet confirmed that directly.

* Prof Samuel Walker at Nebraska is the leading expert on Civilian

Review Boards, though I haven't spoken with him yet, I suspect he

may have some information on unjustified police homicides.

Thanks to all who gave me hints and pointers.

Best, Kendall Clark -- THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS http://monkeyfist.com/