seth & defusing korea tensions

Thu May 25 13:30:56 PDT 2000

>>> "J. Barkley Rosser, Jr." <rosserjb at jmu.edu> 05/25/00 03:30PM >>>
Brad,

Although I think he has overdone some of his rhetoric in this debate, I have to side with Tim on this one. The evidence from Bruce Cumings' work and that of other serious scholars is pretty clear. Both the US and the USSR largely withdrew for a period of time in the late 1940s. Kim Il Sung was the leader of a genuinely nationalist anti-Japanese movement and had great credibility and support because of that, even if later he proved to be a megalomaniac dictator (yes, I agree with that characterization).

CB: Would you say that the U.S. is not run by megalomaniacal dictators "

If he did not have strong indigenous support, why did the US shut down the locally initiated government in Seoul and insist on imposing the regrettable Syngman Rhee? They were fearful that this spontaneous local group would end up supporting Kim Il Sung. This is pretty clear. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Brad De Long <delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Thursday, May 25, 2000 1:19 PM Subject: re: seth & defusing korea tensions