[Fwd: [BRC-MUMIA] Mumia Defense - SEIU Int. Union Convention]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu May 25 21:08:48 PDT 2000

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [BRC-MUMIA] Mumia Defense - SEIU Int. Union Convention Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 21:00:22 -0700 From: chris98 at pacbell.net To: MumiaFriends at aspenlinx.com

Brothers & Sisters,

In an extremely significant display of Solidarity, the 1100 delegates to the International Convention of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) voted without dissent to demand justice for Mumia Abu-Jamal. Representing the largest union in the United States with 1.4 million workers, this convention was assembled in the very state where Mumia continues to sit on death row. Meeting in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the assembled delegates voted to support a Moratorium on the Death Penalty and a new trial for Mumia Abu Jamal.

We will have a complete report shortly, both defining the Labor for Mumia Conference, which occurred just one week before the SEIU Convention, and the action campaigns we designed there, as well as the details from the SEIU convention itself. However, it's important to salute the 49 delegates from local 1000 for their exemplary work, many of whom participated in the Labor for Mumia conference in Oakland on May 12. The 49 delegates from SEIU Local 1000 spearheaded the effort to take this action, on Mumia's behalf at their International Convention. Local 1000 represents California State Employees.

The next challenge goes out to the rest of the organized labor movement to follow suit, as well as to rapidly implement creative solutions to put this support into action.

In Solidarity,

Randy Christensen Communication Workers 9415 Coordinator, Labor For Mumia

For a Broad Labor Campaign to Win Justice for Mumia

(adopted by Labor For Mumia Conference - May 12, 2000 - Oakland, CA)

We should constitute ourselves/this conference as the launch pad for a broad labor campaign to defend Mumia, called Labor for Mumia.

This new formation should be anchored in the affiliated Central Labor Councils.

I volunteer to continue, with your support, coordinating this effort.

We should initiate one or more effort of the following type:

- A major media campaign where we would place ads in the press from union papers, on up to major big-business press, such as the recent teacher's ad in the NY Times. We could and should place articles in the press read by working people regarding this conference, updates in the case, as well as campaigns we decide to launch. We should also consider radio and community TV spots, billboard space, etc.

- Postcard/petition/letter-writing campaign. We could take these to union meetings, E-boards, etc. To continue educating and gathering steam. Perhaps official or unofficial communication with Mumia himself.

- Assist Mumia groups developing in unions.

- Encourage the adoption of Mumia as an Honorary union member.

- Pass a resolution.

- Distribute buttons, bumper stickers, posters & tee shirts, videos, CD's, etc.

- Shop floor actions such as lunchroom discussions button wearing campaigns, etc.

- Union-initiated Community Speak-outs/Teach-ins.

- Create packets for isolated unionists nationally.

- Develop a speaker's bureau.

One focus of this work should be in demanding that the justice department launch an official investigation into Mumia's case. With 29 constitutional violations, it shouldn't take 18 years to discover only one, which is grounds to throw the case out. We must expose their inaction, which amounts to complicity.

We should plan to take this message back to our unions, other folks and unions.

We should undertake a major mailing, outlining today's proceedings, in concert with all affiliated Councils, Unions, Locals & individuals, encouraging further united efforts.

This proposal doesn't pretend to exhaust the possibilities of what we might do. Rather, it suggests that we undertake a broadly focussed campaign to effectively engage the immense power of the organized labor movement to win justice for Mumia Abu-Jamal.

Anything less is unacceptable!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Failed tests, classes skipped, forgotten locker combinations. Remember the good 'ol days http://click.egroups.com/1/4053/0/_/20091/_/959313690/ ------------------------------------------------------------------------

BRC-MUMIA: Black Radical Congress - Mumia Abu-Jamal News/Info/Discussion