Justice for Janitors?

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Fri May 26 10:00:33 PDT 2000

Brad De Long wrote:

> >>But are these increases really "victories"?
>
> Yes.

They got something. I found it curious that the article did not include another SEIU workforce, the in home workers (In Home Supportive Services) - these are personal care workers who in most cases, get minimum wage (not even up to the janitor rate), have no health insurance and no time off. They seem to be ignored because they did not go on strike - but IHSS workers and disabled people have been pressing the obstinate governor Davis (our Republicrat gov) for pay increases. -- he finally agreed to a very modest wage increase and 60 cents for health care. I'm not holding my breath, it has to go through the legislature first and then get his signature.

-- Marta