Getting beyond DeLong's Stalin-baiting & Remembering Phil Ochs

Fri May 26 09:50:39 PDT 2000

Stalin is like Satan. He is still controlling North Korea, 45 years after he died. That's supernatural evil power.

CB

TRox51 at aol.com wrote:

> So when he does, reach back to 1966 and sing to yourself Phil Ochs' famous line from his blistering polemic against Cold War liberalism: 'When it comes to times like Korea/There's no one more red, white and blue/So love me, love me, love me/I'm a liberal.'

Actually, I think his "Ballad of William Worthy" bears on the situation also. The easy assumption (based so far as I can tell on atmospheric pressure) that North Korea is the realm of Satan depends greatly on the walling off of North Korea more by U.S. seige than by any unwillingness on its part to welcome foreigners. (Perhaps it is the realm of Satan -- but I have yet to see anyone *arguing* the point: they merely assert it as something "everyone" knows.)

Carrol