Trespassing in Cyberspace: Corporations Seek Control

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri May 26 13:05:06 PDT 2000

At 01:10 PM 5/26/00 -0500, dave wrote:
>Just to clarify what you write here, it's the individual sellers on eBay
who are on
>occassion using product info from manufacturer sites when they post their
items (and why
>not?) for the kinds of items that would lend themselves to such tactics,
not eBay
>themselves. People have an odd habit of saying, "eBay's trying to sell
someone's kidney"
>when in fact it's some guy in California or wherever who posted it for sale.

True. But in the light of the court decision that Ebay just won, Ebay owns the server and thus should be liable for what is being posted there. It is like someone breaking a leg while shopping at a supermarket - the owner of the property is liable. The point I was trying to make is that you cannot have your cake and eat it - if you treat your site as private property and claim proprietary privileges, you must also assume responsibilities that come with it.

wojtek