WB and IMF

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Fri May 26 13:25:16 PDT 2000

Doug,

Let's pin it down. The problem with the WB is that it loans rather than grants? that a lot of its projects "fail"? that a lot of its projects are environmentally damaging? that some of its projects are structural adjustments or related to privatization/marketization? that it is dominated by the US? or that it is a front man for world capitalism which would still exist if it were to be eliminated? (or some or all of the above?)

Of course some of these could be altered or changed by pressure and reforms, the "fix it" solution. Its role as front man for global capitalism cannot be. But then, as noted above, global capitalism will still exist and function with no World Bank. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Friday, May 26, 2000 3:47 PM Subject: Re: WB and IMF