WB/IMF (Jim O'Connor)

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Mon May 29 13:58:55 PDT 2000

I think that the claim was made on a purely technical level. If so, it is certainly correct. The majority of the work done in the U.S., for example, is certainly waste.

It would not be hard to "engineer" a rational economy -- except, and this is a big "except" for the resistance that such a policy would create. How many resources would be released if Cuba did not have to worry about the U.S. and the trouble that the U.S. has created. If the Cuban -- or any society for that matter -- could join together without conflict, they could easily eliminate poverty.

For that reason, it is very important that the U.S. be able to sabatoge any attempt to create a rational society abroad as well as at home.

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu