Gallup on China

Tom Lehman uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu
Tue May 30 06:48:38 PDT 2000

Ok, Doug. Rub it in.

Here's the analysis of the House vote from George Becker: To: All Steelworkers From: George Becker Subject: A Message From Pittsburgh

Vote on PNTR For China in heavy Steelworker Districts. Congresspersons representing districts with the most Steelworkers voted by a large margin against PNTR for China. Of the Congresspersons in the top 10 Congressional Districts as measured by number of members and retirees, 8 voted against PNTR for China. The 2 exceptions: Republicans Regula of Ohio and English of Pennsylvania. In the next 10 biggest Steelworker districts 6 voted with us and 4 against. The 4 that voted against us were Democrats Sawyer (OH), Bachus (AL) and Roemer (IN) and Republican Oxley (OH). The third tier of 10 was also 6-4 in our favor. Those who voted against us in this tier were Republicans Gillmor (OH), Pitts (PA) and Gekas (PA) and Democrat Lucas (KY).

Money in Politics. The Business Roundtable, a DC based lobby coalition that includes some of the nation's largest corporations, spent $10 million in advertising alone in passing PNTR for China. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. In all, the 200 members of the Business Roundtable have accounted for more than $58 million in soft money, PAC and individual contributions to federal parties and candidates this election cycle,

-33-