my last word on guns in Amerika

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Nov 1 00:11:07 PST 2000

> > Come to think of it, planes are also aesthetically unpleasing &
>> ergonomically incorrect. Besides, flying makes my ears ache.
>
>But they are fast!

Ah yes, _fast_ -- and that is why trains are sexier than planes. Some like it _slow_, you see. And there are far more intriguing movies about people on trains than planes.

_Shanghai Express_, Josef von Sternberg, 1932.

[In the opening scene, a train is being boarded and loaded with baggage at the Peking Railroad Station. It is traveling from Peking to Shanghai as a civil war rages through war-torn China. One of the train's passengers, Reverend Carmichael (Lawrence Grant) complains to fellow passenger British Medical Corps Captain Donald Harvey (Clive Brook) about the kinds of women traveling on the train: "Well, sir, I suppose every train carries its cargo of sin, but this train is burdened with more than its share!" He also criticizes two of the them in particular: "One of them is yellow, and the other one is white -- but both their souls are rotten." Harvey criticizes the Reverend's assumptions: "You interest me, Mr. Carmichael. I'm not exactly irreligous, and, being a physician, I sometimes wonder how a man like you can locate a soul and, having located it, diagnose its condition as rotten."... <http://www.filmsite.org/shang.html>]

_The Lady Vanishes_, Alfred Hitchcock, 1938.

_Strangers on a Train_, Alfred Hitchcock (based on a novel by Patricia Highsmith, whom Hitchcock exploited), 1951.

_Zentropa_ (aka _Europa_), Lars von Trier, 1991.

And so on, and so forth.

What have you got on your side? _Airplane!_ (1980)?

And any good movie with memorable scenes set on an airport? I can think of only _La Jetée_, Chris Marker, 1962. (Check out this website on Chris Marker at <http://cs.art.rmit.edu.au/projects/media/marker/index.html>).

Yoshie