'Gay' as uncool

Harry Browne hbrowne at zianet.com
Wed Nov 1 08:52:56 PST 2000

The use of 'gay' to mean 'uncool' or just plain 'bad' is widespread here in the boonies of New Mexico as well, I'm afraid to add. My experience is with the elementary school level. Sixty miles to the south, in Palomas, Mexico, the word "madre" is used in the same way. There, the contrary is also used: "padre" means "cool." I'm still waiting for kids here to use "breeder" or "straight" to mean that. "Dude, that Digimon card is way straight."

--Harry Browne

Silver City, NM