Allies against fascism?

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 1 09:46:58 PST 2000

Yes, and no. People knew the Nazis were brutes, but not that they were going to be mass murderers. (Even they probably didn't know it.) As for brutes, there were a lot of them about, some closer to home. This was the time of Scottsboro and large-scale lynching in the US, which therefore had little jutification in being self-satisfied about antiracism. Charles usually doesn't make anything of it, but he _is_ African American, and from that point of view the difference between the Nazis in the 30s and America in the 30s, especially in the South, was not so great. If you doubt me, read, e.g., Leon Littwack's Been in the Storm so Long, or (gasp) Gynnar Myrdal's An American Dilemma. Jesse Owens beat Hitler's runners and went home to--Jim Crow and lynching. And for all my anti-Stalinism, I'll say this: The CP was the main group of mainly white Americans in the 30s who were real strong and clear on racial equality here at home, make no mistake. --jks