Nader Paradox

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Nov 1 11:10:13 PST 2000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. wrote:
>The Nader paradox is that he could simultaneously
>give the White House to Bush

-No. If Bush wins, it's Gore's fault. Todd Gitlin and Nathan Newman -are dying to scapegoat Ralph, but their boy is a political and -personal disaster.

Actually, I said Dems would scapegoat Nader, thus excusing Gore's lousy campaign. If Nader wasn't running and Gore lost, the DLC history of the last eight years would get the full blame.

Remember, I've been saying Gore is a lousy candidate for well over a year - from my support for Bradley to my bet that he will lose. So don't rewrite what I've said for your own purposes.

But it's pretty god-damn wimpy not to take responsibility for the results of voting for Nader. I have a heck of a lot more respect for the Nader supporters who see the explicit goal as defeating Gore as their strategy. I disagree with it, but at least it's an honest and coherent strategy - even if I think it is the wrong strategy.

-- Nathan Newman