NYT on Bush judge appointments

Wed Nov 1 11:31:13 PST 2000

Strom Thurmand and Jesse Helms are awesimely competent as Senators, too, as was John C. Calhoun.

CB

>>> jkschw at hotmail.com 10/31/00 12:34PM >>>
I didn't say what confirmation votes should be about. In fact I think they should be political. However, there is an element of competence that is in play, and those who voted for Thomas voted on pure politics without taking competence into account, which is disgracefrul. If you think, as many do, that politics should not play a role in whether to vote to confirm a judge, it is not a disgrace to vote for such an awesimely competent judge as Scalia. --jks