Ralph the Leninist

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed Nov 1 12:43:41 PST 2000

. . . But where I disagree with your analysis is on the deeper issue of what makes social-democracy possible. Better policy position papers is not what leads to better social policy. What leads to better policy is a stronger working class movement that can fight for its rights, regardless of the official policy of the political parties. . . .

What you say about the effect of Federal regulation of unionization and the Supreme Court is well-taken, as far as it goes.

But better policy to an important extent comes out of what people think, and the Gore philosophy induces people to think of things that defeat their interests. Incidentally, these same premises militate against unionization. You get shit like you can't unionize or demand higher wages because of the global economy; or because it will push up inflation; or because it (public employees) would expand the evil public sector.

A high proportion of bad stuff happening to unionists would continue in a Gore Administration. So too will difficulties to labor law reform presented by the Senate.

I've always conceded there is a difference. I can't control what Nader does. But failing to take note of the issues I've raised, rather than suggesting that people vote for Nader, at minimum in 'safe' states, is too high a price for me to pay.

mbs