'Gay' as uncool

frances bolton fbolton224 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 1 13:46:14 PST 2000

This isn't a trend. We were using the word twenty years ago, and even then we picked it up from older brothers and sisters.

frances

Michael Pugliese <debsian at pacbell.net> wrote: My nephew's teenage friends in Denver five years ago were already (s)puttering this. Asked my Utne Reader readin'/Unitarian Universalist sister about this (heh, when Christopher was in elementary school we were told not to buy war toys for him for XMAS) we agreed that this was progress compared to faggot or any of the other more common words. Let alone one I heard once when I was a substitute teacher at Juvenile Hall in Alameda County. "What is AIDS?" "Anally Injected Death Syndrome" Now when the kids start to use "queer" ironically...! Michael Pugliese