Nader Paradox and the odds

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Thu Nov 2 07:48:26 PST 2000

Of course, he actually ran for president back in 1948 on the Dixiecrat ticket. Even took a few states. Also holds the record for the longest filibuster, over 24 straight hours in 1957 against an early civil rights bill. A real man of principle, although I understand that bladder strain was more of a problem than sperm count in that one.

Actually there is still another possibility at around 1 in a million. You get the scenario that gives us Thurmond, but then the Senate goes Democratic. In that case it would be Robert Byrd as he is the senior Dem and thus would be the President Pro Tempore. But, of course, the Senate race might produce an evenly divided Senate, in which case the sitting Vice President, Al Gore, could cast the tie-breaking vote for Byrd. Wow! Besides quoting Shakespeare and the Constitution, he could wear a sheet and have some crosses burned at his inauguration in memory of his former membership in the KKK.

Of course with these probabilities, Nader and even Buchanan and McReynolds and Browne and Magelin should be discussed. But, hey, since we have a dead man running for the Senate in Missouri (Mel Carnahan), who is leading in the polls even, maybe we should bring back Gus Hall for another run. Where is he now when we need him so much.... ? Barkley Rosser http://cob.jmu.edu/rosserjb -----Original Message----- From: Lisa & Ian Murray <seamus at accessone.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 5:58 PM Subject: RE: Nader Paradox and the odds