Nader & strategic voting

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Nov 2 09:18:35 PST 2000

On the local public radio news, a few locals here in Oregon have come up with the ultimate strategic vote: wait until 7:30 our time on election day to see how the vote's going back East. If Oregon's going to make a difference, they'll vote Gore; if not, Nader. I understand the rationale behind this, but it seems like a sad corruption of the democratic process. Color me naive, but why can't people just vote for the candidate who best represents their interests and political beliefs? Why second guess what millions of other people will do?

Miles