anti-Ralph petition

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu Nov 2 13:05:52 PST 2000

. . .
>I might also note -- in fact I definitely will --
>that the empirical study of corporations reveals
>controlling motives other than profit maximization,
>a shortcoming in Marx that dovetails with his
>focus on "capital."

That was true from Berle and Means through the elder Galbraith. Now, maximization of shareholder value is the only thing that matters. The soulful corporation of the 1950s and 1960s is dead. Doug

But profit maximization and shareholder value are not the same thing. Seems to me the disconnect between motivations and profit maximization is as strong as ever, albeit in different forms.

mbs