That Girl Speaks

Nancy Bauer/Dennis Perrin bauerperrin at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 3 03:35:33 PST 2000

You know things are grim in Gore Town when Marlo Thomas (Steinem Lite) is embraced as the Voice of Reason. The lead ed in today's Times is one of the funnier bits I've seen in that degraded rag this election season. I especially liked the Times' concern for the poor and the powerless, and their righteous condemnation of Millionaire Ralph and his disdain for the lower orders. If I didn't know better, I'd swear Eric Alterman penned it.

Speaking of the Nation, did anyone see Katrina vanden Heuvel on Geraldo the other night? Utterly centrist on the issue of Gore/Nader, though it seems she's leaning in Gore's direction. She was completely upstaged by Arianna Huffington, who sounded far more progressive on the issues than did our Ms. K. No surprise, really, given the current state of the Nation.

DP