anti-Ralph petition

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Fri Nov 3 10:09:02 PST 2000

Doug,

Well, one of the other alternatives put forward was revenue max. That may be another approach that hurts profits in the short run but may increase them in the long run.

A lot of people think that was the strategy of the Japanese corps during their decades of successful growth, aggressively expand market shares and then get the profits later. Probably worked for their auto producers in the 1970s and some other sectors as well. For that to work, one needed a financial backup that did not demand immediate profits, as with the bank-centered keiretsu system. Of course this has all broken down since the crash of the bubble in 1990. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Thursday, November 02, 2000 7:16 PM Subject: RE: anti-Ralph petition