Response to Wilentz et al.

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Nov 3 10:37:07 PST 2000

. . . Just so, Nader says one day that there is no difference Bore and Gush--whoops, Gore and Bush--and the very next, that Bush (not Gore) would be so bad for the environment that environmentalists would mobilize. Kevin Quinn

nice to hear from you kevin. goin to n'awlins?

on the substance, these are logically independent premises, namely:

a. Bush and Gore are the same (which I don't believe, but that's beside the point) b. Bush would mobilize enviros because he *looks* worse than Gore, not because he is worse

Neither of these implies 'the worse, the better.' You could say (b) implies, the worse things *look,* the better. Now we could acknowledge that the worse things are, the worse they are likely to look. But that doesn't imply the worse things look, the worse they are.

max