Scalia

Nancy Bauer/Dennis Perrin bauerperrin at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 3 11:18:50 PST 2000

Just read about Scalia's opposition to random drug searches conducted by the Indiana State Police at sobriety checkpoints. It seems that the ISP have been using drug dogs to sniff around cars, even if there is no sign of drunkeness by the driver. So, if you are sober, but have weed in the car, the checkpoint could turn out to be much worse for you than if you had a few beers. In the case before the Court (I'll have to check the case title), Scalia shot down the arguments of the prosecution as supportive of police-state measures. I read on this board of another case where Scalia took a similar stand regarding cops-and-drugs searches (in Illinois, I believe). Funny thing, Clinton/Gore/Lieberman support such measures (among many others) in their ongoing drug war. Bad as Scalia is on choice, he seems, if these two cases are any indication, to be solidly behind the Fourth Amendment. Is this true across the board? And what of Clarence? Has he followed his mentor down this trail?

DP