Allies against fascism?

Fri Nov 3 14:21:54 PST 2000

>>> jkschw at hotmail.com 11/03/00 04:53PM >>>
Charles doesn't actually challenge anything I said that was concrete in critizing Stalin's follies vis a vis Hitler. I might have added to the purge of the Army, the moving the defense lines in '39, the refusal to accept correct information about June 22, '41, and the "provocation" order, the insane "not one step back" order that lost the Soviets literally millions of men in the first mad days of the war. In fact, Stalin developed into a tolerable leader after having his (and our) ass saved by the unbelievable heroism of the Soviet people. Partly this was because he did eventually deign to listen to people like Rossokovsky, whom he had chucked into a concentration camp, or Zukhov and Chuikov (a pair of bastards, but good soldiers), at least while the war hung the balance. As a politician, especially operating against the allies in the later days of the war, Stalin was unparalleled. As a military leader, he was no better than Hitler, who was in fact pretty good,a nd maybe not as good. I don't think his "philosophy," which was in fact idealistic, had anything to do with it. Hitler never read Heidegger, probably never hear of him, and almost certainly never read Nietzsche, who is btw not an idealist. --jks

CB: What I am directly challenging is the idea that the German-Soviet non-aggression pact did not give the Soviets more time to prepare for the attack, and that may have helped to win in the end.

I agree that there was unbelievable heroism of the Soviet people, but they must have had some unbelievably military smarts too, for not only did they defeat the Nazis, but also overcame Stalin's mistakes. I don't know. Seems more likely that some of what Stalin did was militarily smart, even some of the specifics that Justin notes, like not one step in retreat. Or the Communist Party was "smart", smart enough to get around Stalin and win. I really don't want to try to rescue Stalin's rep, but I think what is more likely is that he was very evil, but had some smarts too, and the whole approach of finding that he could just do nothing right is understandable from a moral point of view , but does not square with events.

But I'll take the characterization that Stalin developed into a tolerable leader, because, I think Justin is correct to be stingy about complimenting Stalin.

How about some discussion of why Stalin was an idealist ?

How was Nietzsche not an idealist ?