the rabbinical view of LesserEvilism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Nov 3 14:07:38 PST 2000

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> Just a metaphor to express the leninist idea it is better to be a part of a
> large, well organized and equipped organization than a unorganized protest.

O.K. But then it is necessary to point out that neither many knee-jerk Leninists and knee-jerk anti-leninists seem to overlook (almost on principle) that what one might call the core of lenin is keeping a very sharp eye out for the patterns of "unorganized protest." I have many times quoted the passage in which Lenin calls Trotsky a blowhard for saying that there would be no more Father Gopins. Trotsky thought the marxist revolutionaries had to do the work which Gopin had done. Lenin insisted that without thousands of Father Gopins there would be no revolution.

Carrol