Powering Up the Eurostate

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Fri Nov 3 18:19:39 PST 2000

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Peter van Heusden wrote:

> Seriously, though, what's the chance of this? The UK would have a fit - as
> would would the right in most EU countries. I don't see this being

The UK is irrelevant. They can't even sustain a national auto industry, let alone hack the euro. The Right is split in the EU: local pols hate the EU, while the corporate elites are gungho for Europe.

> Anyway, Cohn-Bendit's sights certainly seem rather lowered these days.

He's speaking as a political rep of the French Greens. Personally, he'd tell you that we need a global revolution against Capital, but there's no doubt that a social democratic EU is an important medium-term goal for the Euroleft.

-- Dennis