words

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Sat Nov 4 18:43:02 PST 2000

At 07:43 PM 11/4/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Can anyone name this author? And can anyone tells me if this passage means
>anything?
>
>Doug
>
>---

my guess, given the use of "imbrications" was that it was someone inspired by the french theorists. maybe bourdieu or barthes. this doesn't sound like bourdieu, though. i don't know barthes tho.

the phrase "complex imbrications" pulls up Aihwa Ong (berkeley) in a paper entitled, "Strategic Sisterhood or Sisters In Solidarity? Questions of Communitarianism and Citizenship in Asia."

in a footnote she has written this as well: "Colonialism and Modernity: Feminist Re-presentations of Women in Non-Western Societies, 3/4 Inscriptions (1988) ( I argued that First World feminists defined themselves in opposition not to First World men, but to Third World women, who are viewed as their social inferiors. We cannot talk about gender inequality in non-Western countries without situating our analyses in the context of cultural imperialism and geopolitical ranking of nations in the world.) at: http://www.law.indiana.edu/glsj/vol4/no1/ongpgp.html

Also authored: _Flexible Citizenship, The Cultural Logics of Transnationality_ http://ls.berkeley.edu/dept/anth/books.html#FLEXIBLE CITIZENSHIP

SPIRITS OF RESISTANCE AND CAPITALIST DISCIPLINE Factory Women in Malaysia Aihwa Ong http://www.sunypress.edu/sunyp/backads/html/ongspirits.html

she must have some kind of relationship to HAraway, she keeps coming up. Her diss advisor, perhaps?

also turns up: a web page on hong kong cinema and sexuality.

a paper cites: Ong, Aihwa, 1993. "On the Edge of Empires: Flexible Citizenship among Chinese in Diaspora", Positions 3(1): 745-778. at http://faculty.washington.edu/kmitch/diffdias.htm

then there's Homi Bhahba, which seems also likely: http://www.ags.uci.edu/~clcwegsa/revolutions/Lucas.htm