Crambe Repetita

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 5 10:28:43 PST 2000

kelley wrote:

> i am, also like dennis in so far as the myth of the
> democratic party still holds sway over me--a holdover from my
> youth. *sigh*

I won't accept this. My earliest political memory is of the campaign speeches of Franklin Roosevelt. You do not know what campaign oratory is until you have heard coming over the radio his repeated "Martin, Barton, & *Fish*." I come from a family in which Roosevelt was little less than a deity. And in 1952 listening to the broadcast of the Democratic National Convention I gloried with the delegates as they sang "Don't let them take it away." And at the age of 34 I voted for Johnson -- FOR Johnson, not against Goldwater. I admired Johnson greatly. Yet the following spring (and this was yet some years before I begin even to imagine myself as perhaps a marxist) as the implications of the Dominicn Republic invasion began to sink in, I was able to throw away and never once look back those years of extreme party loyalty. (I was irritated at the Daley machine in 1960 because they had not stolen *enough* votes to make the election secure.)

Surely no attachment to the Democratic Party picked up in years when Roosevelt was but a vague memory could generate the sort of attachment to the party he instigated. Buck up. Snap out of it. Put away childish things and leave that bulwark of imperialism (root and branch -- including its most progressive congressional candidates) behind you.

Carrol