What Do Unions Get for Helping Dems?

Sun Nov 5 14:31:44 PST 2000

>Brad De Long wrote:
>
>>A higher minimum wage?
>
>Why didn't the Dems raise the min wage when they controlled Congress
>in '93 and '94? They didn't even hold a single hearing on the topic,
>right?
>
>Doug

It was stacked in the queue behind health care.

White House congressional liaison told Bob Reich that the minimum wage would have to wait until 1995--that swing Republicans like Chafee and Jeffords and swing Democrats like Breaux were worried about the health-care mandate's effect on employers of minimum-wage workers, that talking about raising the minimum wage in 1994 would (perhaps) make health care reform more difficult, and that health care reform was the number one priority.

Look: I never said that the Clinton White House had phenomenal political instincts. I never even said that they are competent. But (with the exception of Bruce Reed) the people around Clinton-Gore were *not* the neoliberal trolls you imagine.

*We* live in the Treasury.

:-)

Brad DELong