DJ Freddy J

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Sun Nov 5 21:14:18 PST 2000

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Sam Pawlett wrote:

> A student of Fredric Jameson? It says that the global economic political
> economic system is compromised of nation states but not reducible to
> nation states because there is some inherent property of the national
> that the global cannot explain.

Ah, Jameson. As much as I love the guy for kickstarting Left theory in the US (me and many of my fellow rads wouldn't have read Adorno and Sartre otherwise), sometimes you just want to whack him upside his White Boy head. His column on globalization in the Used Left Review put me to sleep faster than sodium pentathol. In contrast, Bourdieu continues to put the hammer down on the neolibs. Why is it the radical profs are always from France? Is there something in the water supply? Can they bottle it or something?

-- Dennis