Eikon eikonoklastes

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Mon Nov 6 08:13:53 PST 2000

Chip Berlet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was just at a meeting on legal defense of protestors and the discussion
> turned to demonstration vandalism.
>
> The younger discussants called the question "to brick or not to brick," thus
> the reference to Starbuck's windows (and even what to do with the brick) is
> now not even considered needed but is merely implied.
>
> -Chip

Yup, property destruction is taken as a given now among most activists. I did a panel discussion on this topic several weeks ago at American University with Nadine Bloch of DAN and Michelle from the Plowshares. The audience seemed to be mostly into PD, but several had qualms about the black bloc. This wasn't surprising given that the event was sponsored by the Washington Peace Center.

For a good graphic on "to brick or not to brick" see: http://www.infoshop.org/img4/life_is_short.gif

Chuck0