words

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 6 10:45:50 PST 2000

Peter van Heusden quoted Michael Hardt:

> It is quite clear that
> in the various processes of globalization the locus of sovereignty
> has shifted away from the nation-state, at least in part, but it is
> not so easy to identity its new locus, if indeed it can be located
> at all.

This reads oddly in a time when U.S. imperial power is so mighty, whether operating unilaterally or through NATO or the IMF. Or are we talking about the apparently dispersed, centerless authority of capital - which is hardly a new problem of political economy? Just what's new about this new imperial model?

Doug