[Fwd: Fwd: Re: Sarah Jessica Parker pressed into service]

Ampersand B. Deutsch ennead at teleport.com
Mon Nov 6 11:34:21 PST 2000

States can have "fully informed" laws which essentially require women to be subjected to anti-abortion literature before they cna have an abortion. And Casey also said that states can outlaw abortion post-"viability," which is about as vague a standard as I could possibly imagine. Plus, parental consent laws and waiting periods. There are probably more, but that's what's coming to my mind offhand.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Max Sawicky" <sawicky at epinet.org> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, November 06, 2000 9:55 AM Subject: RE: [Fwd: Fwd: Re: Sarah Jessica Parker pressed into service]

: Thanks. I knew the trimester part. What other
: barriers are legal now, besides notification
: and waiting periods?
:
: mbs
:
: . . . In 1992, the court surplanted Roe with the Casey decision, which undid
: Roe's trimester standard and said that states could enact regulations at any
: point so long as they didn't present "an undue burden" on choosing abortion.
: In Casey and all the time since, only two burdens have been found undue:
: husband-notification and late-term abortions. All other burdens the court
: has seen - including parental notification and waiting periods - it has
: found to be "due." --BD
: